Energy System Integration and Process Design
Integrating energy system processes to improve overall environmental and economic performance
Energy system integration and process design is essential to improve the overall environmental and economic performance of advanced biofuel production. AMBITION aims to intelligently combine and extensively integrate of all the processes considered in the production system by efficient material and energy usage.
There are two major issues that arise from the state-of-the-art work carried out so far:
- The combination and integration of a thermo-chemical and a bio-chemical process route
- The consideration of external hydrogen supply and CO2 utilization
These issues can be overcome by:
- Creation of overall mass and energy balances of the individual process steps
- Integration of the process steps into an overall process design
- Optimization of the overall process to maximize process efficiency
- Valorisation of renewable hydrogen integration and CO2 utilization to maximize bio-carbon efficiency
- Comparative techno-economic assessment in regard to most efficient process configurations
- Verification of major key indicators related to environmental impact
The method applied consists of a multi-step approach with increasing degrees of process integration from single technologies via process chains to energy systems. First, the individual process steps are modeled, then combined into the most beneficial process constellations. Finally bio-carbon efficiency is maximised by external hydrogen supply via electricity.